Group History & Archive Photos
The 18th Dorking (North Holmwood) was first registered in 1929 when a Cub Pack of 10 boys and 1 Leader was formed. In 1936 the District records show a Scout Troop was also in operation. Then, at the outbreak of the 2nd World War in 1939 the group was closed due to lack of leaders.
In 1962 the then Vicar of North Holmwood Church wrote in the Spire Magazine asking for help to reform the group. A number of leaders came forward and the Scout Troop and Cub Pack started once more in a garage next to one of the leaders houses.
The group continued to flourish for the next 25 years, with many camps, international trips, fundraising and community events being recorded. Young Scouts became Leaders propelling the group forward for the next generation. The group moved to various local buildings at which point the Beaver colony was launched with 12 boys in 1987.
In 1992 the group moved into the Village Hall where the group continue to thrive today with approximately 80 boys and girls and 12 leaders, as well as an additional Cub Pack operating with the Goodwyns Estate.
Looking through the detailed archived records, newspaper cuttings, drawings, pictures and badges, its clear to see that the success of this group is based on nearly 100 years of commitment and dedication to Scouting from all the Leaders who have been a part of this fantastic group during this time.
It’s a real pleasure to be able to share just a few extracts from the groups history, but sadly many of the early contributors are not with us anymore but hopefully their memory and enthusiasm will live on though these photos.